EDITH IAROVICI, LILIANA MAREȘ (1981), ”EXERCIȚII LEXICALE ÎN LIMBA ENGLEZĂ”, V

 

5

It was raining hard but when I went to get my umbrella, I found that out of the five umbrellas we have at home, there was not one I could use. I decided to take all the five umbrellas to an umbrella-maker.

So I took them, left them at the umbrella- maker's, saying that I would call for the umbrellas on my way home in the evening. When I went to dine in the afternoon, it was still raining very hard. I went to a nearby restaurant, sat down at a table and had been there only a few minutes when a young woman came in and sat down at the same table with me. I was the first to finish and when I got up, I absent-mindedly took her umbrella and started for the door. She called out for me and reminded me that I had taken her umbrella. I returned it to her with many apologies.

In the evening I called for my umbrellas, bought a newspaper and got on a tram. The young woman was in the tram too. She looked at me and said:

”You have had a successful day today, haven't you?”

 

COMMENTS AND EXPLANATIONS

1.     Hard = adv. With great energy, strenuously, with all one's force

Hardly = scarcely, only just

He learns hard.

He hardly learns.

 

2.     ....

To decide

To determine

They both mean ”to make one's mind”.

To decide expresses more promptitude and is generally an act of greater authority.

To determine is not so spontaneous as to decide generally is but it requires more or less time, being generally applied to actswhich may more easily be brought to an end, implying firmness and sometimes even obstinacy.

 

 

 

3.     To take

To get or lay hold of with the hand(s) or any other part of the body

She took the little girl's hand and patted it affectionately.

 

To win, to capture, to catch, to catch by surprise or pursuit

That day a group of Romanian soldiers tokk one of the redoubts at Grivița.

 

To use, to use or borrow without pemission, to steal

Who has taken my fountain-pen?

 

To carry sth, to accompany sb away from a place

Will you, please, take the children to the kindergarten?

 

To get, have, to eat or drink, to allow oneself

Family troubles obliged him to take a leave of absence.

 

To accept, to receive

They took a reasonable sum of money for the house.

 

To require, need

It takes me but a couple of minutes to make the coffee.

 

To treat or regard in a specified way

I shouldn't have expected her to take things so calmly.

 

4.     On one's way always shows direction

In one's way points to lack of freedom to go forward

He is on his way to the railway station.

Don't stand in our way, please!

 

 

    Translate the following sentences into English using to take whenever possible:

1.     Luă ceștile din bufet și începu să toarne cafeaua în ele.

2.     Nu-i trebuie decât un sfert de oră ca să ajungă la universitate.

3.     Cine mi-o fi luat ascuțitoarea? Nu o găsesc niciodată la locul ei când am nevoie de ea.

4.     L-am îndemnat să ia lucrurile cu calm.

5.     Erau aproape două luni de când inamicul încerca să captureze fortăreața.

6.     Duse paharul la gură și îl goli dintr-o înghițitură.

7.     I-am luat întotdeauna pe oameni așa cum sunt.

8.     Ce-ar fi să facem o plimbare înainte de a ne duce la cinema?

 

 

                       Sursa:

EDITH IAROVICI, LILIANA MAREȘ (1981), ”EXERCIȚII LEXICALE ÎN LIMBA ENGLEZĂ”, EDITURA ȘTIINȚIFICĂ ȘI ENCICLOPEDICĂ, BUCUREȘTI

 

 

 

 

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

REASONS WHY ENGLISH LEARNING IS IMPORTANT FOR STUDENTS - engvarta.com/reasons-why-english-learning-is-important-for-students

TEACHING ENGLISH TO PRIMARY SCHOOL STUDENTS – A GUIDE FOR PEDAGOGICAL SCHOOL STUDENTS - AUTHORS: ADRIANA COSCAI, TEODORA MIHAELA NIDELEA

REASONS FOR TEACHING ENGLISH THROUGH LITERATURE